Monday, March 7, 2011

pesto chicken tortellini with mixed veggies




This recipe was a winner! I got it from a Kroger coupon book. It actually was supposed to be a soup without chicken, but most men aren't fans of soup and meals without protein (I was cooking for my dad and Dave who are two meat lovers).

Ingredients:

*1 package Buitoni whole-wheat three-cheese tortellini pasta

*chicken broth OR water

*2-3 cups mixed veggies (green beans, diced carrots, corn, peas, onion...I used frozen veggies in a bag...makes life much easier)

*1 small jar of Classico Basil pesto

*minced garlic

*boneless, skinless chicken breasts (we used 3 Tyson brand chicken breasts)

*parmesean cheese

Here is what I did:

I baked the chicken breasts at 375 degrees for about 30 ish minutes. Dave cut them into bite size pieces so they would cook faster and mix into the meal easier.

While that baked, I cooked the mixed veggies in a skillet. You could also microwave them if you use a bag of frozen veggies. After a few minutes, I added the garlic.

While the chicken bakes and the veggies cook, boil the tortellini according to package directions. If you want to make this into a soup, use chicken or veggie broth to boil the pasta and add the chicken and veggies to the broth when the pasta finishes. If you don't want this meal as a soup, boil the pasta in water and strain in a colander when finished.

When the chicken, veggies and pasta are done, mix them all together in a skillet over low heat and let them warm together for a few minutes. Then add the jar of pesto. FYI--you don't have to add the entire jar. I spooned most of it into the chicken, tortellini and veggies so I didn't have to add the excess oil that comes in pre-made jars of pesto. If you want, season with salt and pepper.

Top with parmesean cheese! Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment