Thursday, March 17, 2011

girl scout cookies...a poison in disguise!

It is that time of year again. Yes, the time of year where sweet, innocent little girl scouts sell colorful boxes of sugary and addicting cookies. Thin Mints, Tag-A-Longs, Samoas...yes, we know of them all!


My friend MB mentioned in her weekly "Tidbits on Tuesdays" post "the evils of girl scout cookies". This really peaked my interest because I have noticed people's obsession with these tasty little devil cookies. And I don't really understand why.

Now I do want to say that I have nothing against these diligent little girl scouts because they raise money to "help do great things". That is absolutely wonderful, but between the massive amounts of sugar, fat, hydrogenated oils, and other artificial-ness/preservatives each cookie has, they should probably try to sell something a little healthier...because these cookies definitely do not "do great things" for our bodies. Why promote obesity and diabetes? And bad eating habits...I mean, it is perfectly fine to splurge and have one or two cookies from time to time, but come on, everyone always says "I just ate a whole box of Samoas" or "I just can't stop eating these Thin Mints". Admit it, this has happened to you before.

Before you shake your head in disappointment, disagree with me and think I'm an insensitive girl-scout hater (I'm totally not...I love girl scouts! They are precious. I just don't like their cookies), read this article. Your thoughts about girl scout cookies will most likely change. Thin mints are gross, anyway! MB hits the nail on the head with Thin Mints and said they taste like "cardboard with a (somewhat) splash of mint". Tag-A-Longs are yuck too. The "chocolate" on the outside tastes like... chemicals.


Girl scouts should...no...Girl Scouts MUST start something like "Girl Scout fruit baskets" or "Girl Scout blankets". Something that does not clog arteries or cause childhood obesity (and adult obesity for that matter). And they are sold right before swimsuit/spring break season. Not so good with the timing.


Maybe one day things will change. I'm sure the USA's obesity and diabetes levels will decrease rapidly once Girl Scout cookies are out of the picture.

1 comment:

  1. farah.. its a COOKIE. its super easy to not eat them as well :)

    ReplyDelete