Saturday, September 24, 2011

addictive blueberry muffins with cinnamon-sugar crumble tops

Every time I'm on Pinterest, I find myself salivating over various recipes, sugar-laden desserts, etc. I've seen a lot of blueberry recipes and knew I needed to make something yummy with these gorgeous beauties chock full of antioxidants.


As I perused through the Fresh Market today (I could have stayed in there for hours and spent way too much money...but I was good and only came out spending $15 on a few various things..oh and sampled some strawberries, cheese, crackers, and veggie chips hehe), I found a bag of frozen wild Maine blueberries (shoutout to Mallory!) that called my name. I purchased my goods and quickly exited the store before I began to impulse shop and place random things into my basket like nori sushi wraps, coconut milk ice cream (so good but SO expensive) and gingersnap pancake mix.


Random expensive items stayed on their shelves. Go me! When I got home I made a batch of amazing, sweet and homemade blueberry muffins with cinnamon sugar crumble tops.


Back to blueberry muffins. Here are my ingredients. I feel very Pioneer Woman with my "cast of characters".


Whole-wheat flour. Frozen blueberries. Baking powder. Egg. Cinnamon. Half & half. Vegetable oil. Butter. Salt. Milk.







Oops. The milk was left out of the previous picture.






Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin. You can use liners if you want. I didn't and everything turned out fine.


In a large-ish bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Then mix vegetable oil, egg, half & half, and milk in a seperate bowl. Slowly mix the wet mixture into the dry. Fold in the blueberries.


Fill each muffin cup with the batter. I didn't fill them all the way because I wanted smaller muffins. Feel free to make big, bakery style muffins by adding more batter to each cup.


Now time for the best part. The crumble top! Mix together the 1/2 cup sugar (I used a much less than this and it was still really sweet), butter, flour, and cinnamon. Sprinkle on the tops of each muffin before baking.


Bake for about 20 minutes, or until done. I just kept an eye on them and took them out of the oven when I stuck a toothpick in the middle of a few of them and it came out clean.


YUMMMM. Our whole house smelled amazing.







The tops of the muffins glistened from the sugar and the blueberries sort of oozed out.



Here is the batch. David will be so excited when he gets home from work!






Sorry for the poor photo quality in this next shot, but I was too excited to gobble this up!







These muffins were to die for! They were crispy and sweet on top and gooey and moist on the inside. I may or may not have eaten two.


Blueberry Muffins with Cinnamon-Sugar Crumble Tops


*1 and 1/2 cups flour (I used whole-wheat)


*1/2 cup white sugar


*1/2 teaspoon salt


*2 teaspoons baking powder


*1/3 cup vegetable oil


*1 egg


*1/3 cup half and half


*1/3 cup milk


*1 cup blueberries


For the crumble top


*1/4 to 1/2 cup white sugar


*1/3 cup flour


*1/4 cup butter, cubed


*1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment