Saturday, December 3, 2011

missing in action...

I know I've been m.i.a. for the last few months, and I am really sorry about that! I know that the excuse "I've been really busy" is typical and unacceptable, but it's true. I've also been doing a whole lot of blog reading and following instead of actually blogging myself. I have always had issues with blogger's formatting when I upload photos, so it usually ends up frustrating me quite a bit. Maybe this time around things will get better!

With that being said, I'm going to TRY to re-enter the blogging world and become more of a regular on this thing.

One of my favorite things to do in my spare time is to read food blogs. I am actually obsessed with it, you can ask my husband! I also love to cook, bake and create yummy masterpieces in the kitchen, so I really want to share it so I can actually have an efficient way to record my recipes. And share with you guys as well! Pretty soon I'll have a new layout...that will happen when I can get some help from someone who is blog-savvy (any takers???).

Since David and I have been married, A LOT has happened. A few days after we returned from our fabulous honeymoon in Mexico, I got a new job at a fancy-shmancy resort that is known for its opulence and winery. It wasn't something I particularly wanted to do, but I took it because 1. it was close to home 2. it's a job and 3. maybe there was potential for advancement. I had also been out of work for a few months because my internship had ended and I had some difficulty finding a full-time job due to this delightful economy.

I felt optimistic and excited on my first day, but those feelings quickly dwindled when I was thrown into the hectic mess without any formal training. I remember there was an NFL football player's wedding the first weekend I worked and it was INSANE. I literally had no idea what I was doing. It was difficult to ask for help because the managers were always busy with a guest or at lunch. When they were available, they would simply take over and quickly solve the issue without teaching me the correct way to do something because the guest didn't have all day to sit there and watch me learn how to fix their bill or make them a gift card.

I would run to the bathroom to cry multiple times because of the fact that I never knew what I was doing and that guests were so rude to me because I couldn't help them. I didn't even want to try and help because I didn't want to accidently charge $800 to someone's credit card or something like that. I dreaded going to work. This feeling of discomfort never left, even after two months because I never got trained! Every time a guest approached the front desk, I wanted to run in the opposite direction.

Plus, having a work schedule that is random and given to you once a week isn't so fun either. One day I could have a 3pm-11pm shift, and the next day I'd be there from 7am-3pm. Yuck. The one positive about the job was some of my co-workers. There is a list of people that I miss seeing!

I searched job after job after job on the internet. I tried contacting companies. I did everything I could to find a job that actually dealt with my college degree. In the midst of my search, I received a phone call that made me jump up and down with glee. It was from one of my amazing co-workers at Emory University Alumni Association where I did my internship. That internship was one of the best experiences of my life by the way. I was told that there was a resignation and I should apply for the job as soon as it appears on the Emory job site.

You better believe I did. I waited and waited for the next step. Finally, I had a phone interview and it went really well. I felt good about it especially because I interned there for six months. I decided to resign from my job at the resort because I knew there was something else that was much better for me and I was so unhappy there.

Unfortunately, the job at Emory didn't work out for me. I was devastated. I loved working there so much, and I was already thinking about being back there with that group of intelligent, funny, sarcastic, hard-working people. I cried for hours and my sweet husband consoled me and cooked a homemade pizza that night to make me smile. I wanted to give up, but didn't. I knew it was the best decision and I know the person that was chosen is doing an amazing job.

I continued to scour the world wide web for openings. My mom blew up my e-mail with available jobs. I opened every single one of her e-mails and applied for EVERY SINGLE JOB. I even applied for the ones that said "must have five years of experience"... I was 18 five years ago! Of course I don't have that kind of experience! But I didn't care. The waiting game began. Again.

Then, the day came. THE DAY. I vividly remember being at the gym, pedaling like a rockstar on the stationary bike, level ten. It was a Monday afternoon and I could see my hubby bench pressing entirely too much weight. I was rocking out to Justin Bieber's "Baby" (don't judge) when I was interrupted by a phone call from a number I did not recognize. I didn't answer because I had no idea who it was.

I checked the voicemail...GOT REALLY EXCITED...and called the number back. I had an interview the next day at a place called UroMed. UroMed is a leading urological medical supply company selling catheters and other incontinence supplies to patients with spinal cord injuries, Spina Bifida, Multiple Sclerosis, and more. I was excited, but didn't want to get my hopes up too much. The day of the interview, I got my hair cut and styled and was ready to dominate.

I was really impressed when I walked into UroMed. The huge building with the glass surrounding it was very professional looking. The lobby was spotless yet very warm and cozy. I was greeted by a smiling receptionist and waited for my interview to begin.

The interview went extremely well. In fact, it went SO WELL that they offered me the job at the end of it. I was in utter and complete shock. They told me that there was something about me- that I had enthusiasm and positivity radiating from me and they could "just see me working here". They said that they never hire people immediately, but they really wanted me at UroMed. Again, I was in shock. Of course I accepted it.

My job title is Marketing Assistant. I work directly with the Marketing Manager and Director of Marketing (who went to Samford just like me and was in the same sorority as me, but graduated 15 years before me). I help the Director of Marketing run the company's blog and our social media. I help plan events and process sample requests (clients/patients will ask for samples of a product if they are out, need new sizes, etc).

It is wonderful and I love it. My co-workers are amazing and so much fun. Other perks are: 1. I only go in three days a week and 2. it is five minutes from my parent's house. I never really enjoyed working full-time because I was so consumed in the job and didn't have enough time to do other things, so this is PERFECT. I also get to see/hang out with my parents a lot!

I am so thankful for this opportunity. I finally feel complete and I am very happy with this job. My fabulous husband and my parents have been so supportive and I couldn't have kept this perseverance without them. I also love my balance between work and my personal life....and for the time to become a certified open water scuba diver with my hubby and mom!!!! More on that later.....


No comments:

Post a Comment