Monday, December 5, 2011

the best banana bread...ever

We make banana bread in our house a lot since David absolutely loves it. We switch back and forth between making banana bread muffins and an actual loaf. I've experimented with several different recipes and each one has been so-so to me (David devours it every time). But lo and behold, I found THE recipe the other day.



Just FYI, we always add chocolate chips to banana bread. I know there is the group (which my dad is a part of) that think chocolate chips are evil when it comes to banana bread and enjoy the traditional loaf with a possible addition of walnuts. That is totally fine, just omit the chocolate chips and you'll still have an extremely decadent treat.

I also added a little somethin somethin to the batter that isn't typical with banana bread. Creamy peanut butter. I am absolutely crazy about peanut butter and I can never resist the three amigos together: peanut butter, chocolate, bananas. It was a good choice. It gave the banana bread extra creaminess and that peanutty taste that I love (this can be omitted as well).

Here we go!

For the batter:

1 large or 2 small very ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
Approximately 1/3 cup peanut butter (optional)
As many chocolate chips as you want (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)

For the topping:

Approximately 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Approximately 1 tablespoon white sugar

Preheat your oven to 350. No more, no less. In a large mixing bowl, mix your melted butter with the mashed bananas. Mix in the sugar, egg, peanut butter(if you want) and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the wet mixture and mix. Add the flour, slowly, and mix. Fold in chocolate chips. Lots of mixing here!

Pour batter into a loaf pan or muffin tin. Top with equal parts brown sugar and white sugar. Bake for 45 min-1 hr. I just kept an eye on it and took it out when I stuck a wooden skewer down the middle of the loaf and it came out clean.

FYI--I actually just threw all the ingredients into a loaf pan, mixed, topped with sugars and baked it. It turned out amazing and I didn't dirty up extra dishes. Just make sure you have a non-stick pan if you do this.

Serve with honey, peanut butter, nutella, jam, or just by itself. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment