Sunday, December 30, 2012

it's amazing how much changes in one year

Wow, I cannot believe it has been a year since I last posted. I always told myself I would become a regular blogger...but it never happened! Oh well.

A lot has happened in the past year. Wow, I really need to start blogging more so I don't have to say that. Last December I posted about my job at UroMed...I am no longer employed there. It was a great job with awesome co-workers, but I had to leave due to the horrendous commute. Initially, I didn't think the commute would be that bad because I only worked M, W and F, but boy I was wrong! I was in the car for over two hours a day!

It. was. horrible.

I worked there for a year and am so glad I did. I met amazing people and learned a lot :)

I found another job at a country club that is only 10 minutes from our house. It was a marketing job, so I figured it'd be fun to promote ritzy golf tournaments and million dollar model home showings. It was close to home as well, and offered decent pay. I was sold. Unfortunately, within the first two weeks, I discovered that this "marketing" job was really just a receptionist position. I feel like the people there reeled me in with what they knew I wanted to hear so they could fill the position quickly. I literally sat at a ratty old desk, answered the phone and played around on Facebook ALL DAY LONG. I felt like I was going to go stir crazy and I'd try to make up excuses to leave my desk whenever I could (I would go to the post office, pretend to pick something up at the clubhouse, run home to let out my dogs etc.). I have nothing against a receptionist position, but they neglected to inform me of these job duties. Marketing and writing were nowhere to be seen and I had a boss who didn't know how to check his email. Needless to say, I had to get out of there!

With nothing to do all day at that job except for transferring phone calls, I researched, researched and researched because I had an idea. An idea that was going to possibly change my career for the better. To make a long story short, I was offered a job as an assistant teacher at a small, privately owned school 10 minutes away from our home (in the opposite direction of the crappy job lol).

I was initially hired as an assistant teacher in an infant room. It was really fun at first, but once I got the hang of things, I got bored. There I was, a 24 year-old with a college degree, changing diapers and working from 2-6:30 every day. I was at the bottom of the totem pole and I did not like it one bit...especially because there were people above me who didn't even have college degrees. The worst part was that I had to clean the room every evening--sanitize toys, vacuum, wipe down counters etc. I felt like a janitor. I knew that I needed to start somewhere, but it was frustrating.

I shared my feelings with the owner of the school, D (not going to say full names) and she bumped up my hours to 9:30-6:30. I was grateful for the full-time hours, but I was still an assistant in an infant classroom and still had to clean and close the room. No bueno.

I prayed and prayed for something else to open up. I wanted something with better hours and I yearned for more responsibility. I knew I had the potential.

One day, as I sat in a rocking chair with a sweet little infant in my arms, W, the teacher I worked with informed me that there was a lead teacher position available for room 2A. This is one of the 2-3 year old classrooms. I found out that the teacher submitted her notice to resign and her last day was quickly approaching. The wheels turned in my head and I immediately became eager to tell D that I was willing to take over this position.

I told D that my current hours (9:30-6:30) were not working for me. David leaves for work at 5:30 p.m. and we completely miss each other. I also told her that I didn't feel fulfilled in the infant room and I wanted to actually TEACH children who could speak. Lol. She mentioned the lead teacher position being available and asked me if I was interested. Um, heck yes. The hours are from 7-3 are you kidding me?! YES! She even said that a college degree unrelated to education would still qualify me to be a lead teacher. Score.

Now you are looking at the new LEAD TEACHER for room 2A. It is so much fun. This is what I'm meant to do, not sit at a desk all day and waste away. I teach these precious children letters, numbers, shapes, colors, animals, body parts, feelings, manners, days of the week, months of the year, and more. They are amazing. I still am in shock that all of this actually happened for me...God is good. I honestly cannot believe it happened so QUICKLY. I'm ecstatic and totally in my element. I finally feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment