Tuesday, April 5, 2011

delicious recipe- chocolate chip banana bread muffins

Hello! I know it's been a while, but I have been very preoccupied with all things wedding and new house. I decided to pop in this morning and share this recipe because it turned out great AND everyone should try it! It's easy, delicious, and healthier than regular banana bread.


Dave absolutely loves banana bread, so it's a regular item in our diets. I decided to add the chocolate chips in lieu of nuts because it adds more sweetness and flavor. Plus, the rest of the recipe is all healthy ingredients, so a handful of chocolate chips thrown into the batter won't hurt anyone ;)


You need:

* 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour

*1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

*1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

*1/4 teaspoon salt

*2 large eggs

*1 cup fat-free buttermilk

*2/3 cup brown sugar (I used light brown sugar- I'm sure you can use dark brown if needed)

*2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted (I used smart balance spread)

*2 tablespoons canola oil (I didn't have canola oil, so I used vegetable oil- it worked great)

*1 teaspoon vanilla extract

*1 or 2 diced bananas (Use bananas that are turning brown, they bake much better)

*chopped walnuts (I didn't use walnuts, but you can!)

* 1/2 a cup chocolate chips (feel free to add more...there is no such thing as too much chocolate!)


Now what? .....


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray. You can use muffin liners...I didn't. I just sprayed the tin and they came out just fine. This mix made 12 big muffins.


Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Then whisk buttermilk, eggs, brown sugar, butter/margarine, oil, and vanilla in another bowl until combined. ***TIP-- make sure the melted butter/margarine is completely cooled before you mix it in with the other wet ingredients because if it is still hot, it will SCRAMBLE THE EGGS. We don't want scrambled eggs in banana bread.


Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add bananas and chocolate chips (and walnuts if you want). Stir, but do not overmix. Transfer batter to muffin tin.


Bake until golden brown, about 22-25 minutes. I took them out when they were still a little bit gooey, so they continued to cook a little bit in the pan when I took them out of the oven. When cooled, they are moist, chocolatey, and delicious.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment